Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Hello and welcome to my world

Coming from my background, the title of this blog, My Well-Documented Life, is both ironic and true. How can that be possible? As a writer, I want my story told—by me. This is not a memoir. This is my reality, the everyday ramblings of a 38 year-old who has figured out what is important in life:  my children, my husband, my parents, my brother and his family, my in-laws, myself, and my friends (and typically in that order, too). Screw the rest of you who think you should fit somewhere in there. Many of you don’t fit, but I let you elbow your way in for a very long time before I came to my senses. Now, you’ll get the stiff arm or a helmet to helmet tackle should you try. (See also 1:43 - 2:05 in this scene from High Fidelity). 

I am absolutely average and extraordinary at the same time. I am a relatively privileged, white (I think), middle-class, educated woman who has the luxury to almost have a room of my own in which I can write.  Whether or not I have the talent is certainly up for debate. Because I believe I do have the talent and an expensive education (from a state university no less!), I will continue writing. These thoughts may only matter to the people snugly tucked away in my own little corner of the world, but I blame my old days of being a college newspaper columnist  and section editor. I believed, then, that people read what I wrote—and I wasn’t even a good writer then! Why not take this education for a little spin, right?

Disclaimer #1:  My mother and father will certainly cower in a corner ashamed or afraid of any attention garnered by my public writing persona. While I am, very much, a product of their parenting and upbringing, I have very different ideologies than they do. They were fabulous parents, so please don’t blame them for my writing (unless it is good, you like it, and/or you agree with it).

Disclaimer #2:  Don’t talk about or ask my husband about what I write. He does not read my writing (at least he doesn’t inform me that he reads it).